Monday, March 12, 2007

Grad School


So there was this Russian researcher, who once gave a presentation in the department. What exactly it was on, I don't remember. The following anecdote was funny though. I quote to the best of my memory,

"So I first came to the US when I was in my thirties, and this was during the prime of the Cold War. I got myself an invite to visit some of America's defense establishments.

On one of my lab visits, I chanced upon a group using methodologies and results from my graduate work. I was aghast.

How could the enemy even think of doing something so underhanded?

Five minutes into the tour though, I relaxed somewhat. I was even feeling happy.

At last, someone is using my thesis!"

Every grad student dreams of becoming the next Albert Einstein when (s)he enters grad school. Somewhere down the line, realism sets in.

No comments: